IT IS NEWLY STRUNG AND SHALL BE HEARD

 

Moyard House

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home Page

Rody McCorley

History of The Society

History of the Cross

Monuments

Grounds

Activities in the Society

Women's Garden of
Remembrance

Museum

Gallery

Deceased Members

Current Events

Society News

Rodaí of Duneane Poem

 

 

 

Moyard house sits on approximately three and a half acres of land on the Glen Road, West Belfast. It was originally built for Jane Montgomery Crawford by her uncle Hugh McCalmott, Baron Cairns. The date of the building is unknown due to the loss of the original deeds. However many of the original features would indicate a date around the late 1850’s.

The RoddyMcCorley Society purchased the house in December 1983 from the McAlinden family. Following the purchase the society embarked on an ambitious and long term refurbishmentplan. Existing features in the house were maintained and restored and the new work blended in with the character and history of the house. The society is constantly working to keep the house in excellent condition and no year passes without some maintenance, refurbishment or repainting work being carried out. The house is in excellent condition and this painstaking work will ensure its survival for many years to come.


After moving from Corrib Avenue in 1984, and in keeping with the aspirations of the society and its United Irishmen ethos, all of the rooms in the original house were named after heroes of 1798. Except one room that is, The Corrib Room, named after the ‘wee club’ in Corrib Avenue. Over the years new facilities were added; a new function room opened on 25th December 2000 was named after Tom Williams and the snooker room opened in 1992 was named after Pat Monaghan, a founder member, who tragically died in February that year.
The layout of the house is impressive with each room having a unique history and legacy. Let us walk through the house, pointing out the different rooms and their original functions;


Coming through the front door, left is the Tom Williams Room and straight ahead is the Corrib Room. This new front door entrance was opened in December 1999 to facilitate access for the Tom Williams Room.
The Tom Williams Room is the main function room for the club. It has an impressive high vaulted ceiling and state of the art sound system. The bar is 25 feet in length; long enough to cater for the large crowds that attend regular functions.

 


The Corrib room was the music room and used to house two grand pianos. The original plaster frieze and marble fireplace are still very impressive.
To the right, through the arch, is the original entrance way and reception room of the house. This is now a quiet sitting area to relax and enjoy a drink away from music and TV distractions. Some of the best features remain most notably the large open fireplace and the moulded plaster ceiling.


Along the corridor is the McCracken room, the TV room as it is known today. This was the family dining room. The best of the original features were kept, notably the Victorian tiled fireplace. Unfortunately the Edwardian chandelier was in a very poor state of repair and no longer exists.
Across the hall is the Bar. The present day layout was opened on 25th October 1992. This area along with the kitchen and storeroom was originally the slaughterhouse and storerooms.

 


Adjoining the bar is the The Pat Monaghan Room also opened on 25th October 1992. This is the snooker room and contains two snooker tables, pool table, TV and jukebox music facilities. It is the most popular room in the club and it has a tremendous atmosphere. In 2006 the room went through a major refurbishment that brought its facilities up to an exceptionally high standard.
Adjoining the Pat Monaghan Room is the William Orr Room. It was originally the stables and coal bunker and housed the snooker table before the new snooker room was opened. It was affectionately known as the bunker and many a happy night was spent within its confines.

 

Upstairs, the smallest room, the Robert Emmett Room, was a smoking room and again like many of the public rooms retains many original features.
Beyond this room is the Wolfe Tone Room, which was originally a mixture of rooms. These were the billiard room, maids ’ bedroom and the dog kennels. Most of the original features have disappeared due to the dilapidated state of the room. In 2004 the room was extensively refurbished with a new roof, new seating, toilets and modern decoration.


On the landing outside the Robert Emmett Room are two original bathrooms now converted to toilets.
Up a short flight of stairs are another three rooms. These were the original bedrooms of the house. The rooms are the Peggy Berkley Room, The Russell Room and between them is an unnamed room, all three of these rooms are now used as the museum which is open to the public to come and enjoy.On the landing that separates these rooms the delicate ceiling plasterwork still remains intact.
The third floor of the house was originally bedrooms for senior staff members. The McAlindens converted them into studies for their sons. Today they are store rooms and are not open to the public.
It is incredible that after twenty three years of work and refurbishment the original character of the house shines through and gives a glimpse of what it was like to live in the house in the late 1850’s when it was new and provided a comfortable family home.

 

 

 

y MckjlkjlkjlkjSociety